Friday, June 16, 2017

Number 135: Neil Young - Computer Age

There are many explanations out there for Neil Young's shocking 1982 album Trans. They range from pure musical experimentation to reasons involving communication with his disabled son. Whatever the truth, the album was stunning in both its deviation from the type of work Young was known for at the time and its complexity and brilliance. Really a mixture of two styles, the greatness of the LP is encapsulated by "Computer Age", which is a magnificent example of Young's creativity blended with technology and the futurist sound gaining prominence at the time. #135 with a bullet.

6 comments:

  1. I mentioned Trans in an earlier comment ... talk about taking risk, Neil took a big one with Trans... Computer Age & Sample and Hold are the two best songs IMO. If you have never heard Sonic Youth's version of Computer Age (on the Bridge charity album) it is worth a listen - very different take on it in their own weird style.
    Let me know if you ever meet another person in the world who appreciates Trans ... that would make the total 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol..it's a good album, I'm not a huge Neil fan, except for the Shocking Pinks album, "This Note's For You", "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World", and "Harvest Moon". Everything else...meh.

      Oh, and "American Dream" with CSN&Y.

      Delete
  2. This is Neil Young? Wow, I finally found a Neil young song that I like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is my favorite song of his by far.

      Delete
  3. Enjoying reading through your list. Plenty of new stuff for me too. That said, as a massive NY fan this is not new to me! None of my fellow NY fans like this album at all but as an 80s schoolboy this ticks all the boxes for me.

    Not my favourite Young album but nowhere near the disaster area most "critics" like to think it is. Transformer Man is my favourite on it, could have lived without the reworking of Mr Soul though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you enjoy the list and please comment on anything you find interesting.

      Delete