Saturday, March 31, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Mobiles - Drowning In Berlin

Anna Maria and John Smithson's short-lived band Mobiles released only one album, 1982's Drowning In Berlin, before breaking up one year later. The title track reached #9 in the UK with it's eerie vocals and strange, paranoid video.

Follow-up single "Amour Amour" failed to crack the top 40, and it was all downhill from there. I did consider "Drowning In Berlin" for my Top 200, but ultimately it didn't make the cut.


Bonus! Here's "Fear", another great track by Mobiles.
 Be back next week with another song that almost made my list.

2 comments:

  1. Band hired Werner Herzog to do a remake of "Cabaret" but was way short on funds ... all he could afford was bi-polar Kate Bush on a day when she was off her meds ... Klaus Kinski volunteered to do it for free but only if he could dress up like a spooky ventriloquist's dummy with too many teeth ... final $10 was spent on the cameo by the Sprockets monkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Kate Bush off her meds" part cracked me up, I admit it.

      Delete