Saturday, July 14, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Fatal Charm - Summer Spies

Summer is here! What better way to celebrate it than with some awesome summer-themed new wave? That's what Was and I are doing this week. I'm starting things off with Fatal Charm's "Summer Spies".

Brits Paul Arnall and Sarah Simmonds formed Fatal Charm in 1978 as a punk group, but by the early 80s (after several unsuccessful punk singles) they had morphed into a new wave outfit. Fatal Charm was finally able to cobble together a full-length debut LP, Endangered Species, in 1985. Third single "Summer Spies" caught fire and just missed charting in the UK. Simmonds soaring vocals and Arnall's synth wizardry created a haunting, ethereal sound combination.

I did have "Summer Spies" on my Top 200, but eventually it fell off the list in one of the last few rounds of cuts. 

Later, in 1987, Fatal Charm did finally have a charting single, "Lucille", from their second album This Strange Attraction. I like this song as well.
Be back next week with another great song that just missed making the list. Until then, watch out for Summer Spies in your room!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic way to kick off Summer Week MD!!!

    LOVE New Wave songs with long intros too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the electic guitar is used in this song too. In my opinion, that's the way the instrument should sound.

      Delete