Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Number 18: Psychedelic Furs - All That Money Wants



The Psychedelic Furs' best song, in my opinion, is "All That Money Wants", from their 1988 LP All Of This And Nothing. Criminally underappreciated, this Richard Butler creation only reached #75 on the UK chart, and didn't even make the Billboard Hot 100 (although it did top the modern rock chart). Brilliant guitar work by John Ashton drives this track, and the band has never sounded tighter than they do here. Richard Butler's vocals are appropriately raw and full of emotion, and the song blends new wave, post punk, and rock sensibilities brilliantly. I knew this tune would be in the upper echelons of my Top 200, the only question was how high it would ultimately end up. I have it at #18, and it marks the second and final appearance of Psychedelic Furs on this list.

6 comments:

  1. Psy Furs career is mind-boggling ... art rock, new wave, post punk, pop, rock .. they can do it all

    Two songs in a row that are "great new songs buried on greatest hits compilations" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A third would have been if I'd put Ultravox's "Love's Great Adventure" in place of "Sweet Surrender". I kind of regret not doing that looking back.

      Delete
  2. Marc, you should have some "just missed the cut" posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! Every Saturday I post a song that just missed the top 200. The first two songs are up already, and the third one will appear Saturday morning.

      Delete
  3. Gracias por el recopilatorio, me parece una excelente selección. El vídeo del top 18 ha desaparecido.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias mi amigo. Espero que ahora esté arreglado.

      Delete