Tuesday, December 12, 2017

WAS's Awesome New Wave Song Of The Week #7: Kraftwerk - Home Computer

Achtung!  Hear me now und believe me later meine freunde.  Now it is the time when we address der Elefant in der zimmer.  We can go no further down this treacherously delightful path without paying homage to the Grand Opas of New Wave…. the Obergruppenfuhrers of Synthpop.  Yes, but of course I am referring to the man-machines … the ones who we would gratefully submit to as our robotic overlords …  KRAFTWERK.   Oh, just saying their glorious name intimidates me to the point of humiliation.  They are so beautiful and angular. I am filled with anticipation … and it is most delicious.  

Whilst their genius dates to the early SEVENTIES and the classic album Autobahn, it was in the 80s where they really hit their stride, with the release of “Computer World” in 1981.  Not only were all the songs techology-oriented (computer, calculators, numbers) - the band is featured on the cover on the screen of a Hazeltine 1500 VDT in all of their green-screen glory.  Holy RS-232, (Adam West) Batman !  Pioneers of the finest kind, Kraftwerk set the tone for much of the electronica that come would later.  Would new wave, synthpop and techno even exist without Kraftwerk ?


While the entire Computer World album is great start to finish, my favorite song (currently) is “Home Computer” with its action-oriented melodies and fantastically vague lyrics - ''I program my home computer... beam myself into the future’’.   Timeless, ahead of its time, and so forward-looking.. its frightening.  

Und now is ze time on Marc’s Blog vhen ve dance!   TO KRAFTWERK…

-WAS 

BONUS: Video of the 1986 song “The Telephone Call” is all it’s Sprocket-ian Glory !


2 comments:

  1. From Kraftwerk to Alphaville to Falco to Propaganda, Germans and synthpop go together like beer and...Germans. Come to think of it, that gives me an idea for this Saturday's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch my monkey! Liebe meine Abschminke! LOVE HIM!

      Delete