Saturday, February 3, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Depeche Mode - See You

Depeche Mode took the #161 ("Puppets") and #38 ("Enjoy The Silence") spots on my Top 200. Since the countdown ended, my partner in crime WAS has also featured the band in the tenth edition of his Awesome New Wave Song of the Week series ("New Life"). I think Depeche Mode deserves yet another mention, this time under my Just Missed It banner.

I actually like quite a few Depeche tunes, and it was difficult to decide between "Everything Counts", "Dreaming Of Me", "Policy Of Truth", "Just Can't Get Enough", "Never Let Me Down Again", and my eventual choice, "See You".

The lead-off single from the band's second LP A Broken Frame (and first without new wave wizard Vince Clarke as a member), "See You" reached #6 in the UK, cementing Depeche Mode's status as superstars. The album went on to sell over one million copies, and the rest is history.

Oh, okay, here's "Everything Counts" and "Policy Of Truth" as well...mainly because I still can't really decide between them. Three amazing songs.

Be back next week with another great song that didn't quite make my Top 200 (or maybe 3 songs, who knows!).

4 comments:

  1. "See You" is the only song that, if included on "Speak and Spell", could have made their debut even more perfect !

    Excellent choice !

    ReplyDelete
  2. "See You" is my favorite song from A Broken Frame (a very underrated album) and all of your other potential Depeche Mode choices are great, too. A Broken Frame, to my ears, have a bit of a Speak & Spell sound to it, though not as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right there. Not quite as good, but almost. Vince Clarke's influence could still be heard.

      Delete