Saturday, October 14, 2017

Number 15: A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song


Next up we have A Flock Of Seagulls with the amazing "Space Age Love Song". Criminally underappreciated when released from their debut eponymous LP in 1982, the song only reached #30 on the Billboard Hot 100. A disappointing number when their previous single, "I Ran (So Far Away)" hit #9. While "I Ran" didn't make this Top 200, "Space Age Love Song" is one of my all-time favorite new wave tunes. Guitar god Paul Reynolds is in top form here, as he provides the framework from which the rest of the song's components are hung. Four minutes of cosmic genius, "Space Age Love Song" takes the #15 spot on my list.

8 comments:

  1. The whole album was underapppreciated and I Ran is one of the weaker cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought this fantastic synth-pop concoction was AFOS's finest and now I've finally found someone who agrees with me (which means we must have been right all along).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *One* of their finest. But there's one song I like better. Stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Not confirming or denying anything! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The hair was an unfortunate distraction from the great music, though.

      Delete