Thursday, October 19, 2017

Number 10: Yaz - Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)

We have reached the final ten songs out of 200. These tracks are my favorite of the entire new wave/synthpop era. I haven't gotten tired of hearing these songs yet, and don't anticipate it happening anytime soon. In my opinion, these are the best of the best. I hope you enjoy listening! Here we go.

Upstairs At Eric's. What else is there to say about that seminal synthpop album? Like Numan's Telekon or Ultravox's Systems Of Romance, it's one of the few LPs that changed the entire history of new wave music. After such amazing songs as "Situation", "Only You" (#158 on this list), "Goodbye 70s" (#105), and "Don't Go" (#76), one could be forgiven for thinking that the final song on side two might be a bit of filler, a synth instrumental perhaps. Nope. Instead we get "Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)", which is my favorite Yaz song of all time. Lyrics by Alison Moyet, awesome disco beat and layered synths by Vince Clarke. Talk about ending an album with a bang! This song always gets people moving when played at a party, but it's equally cool to pump from your car speakers when on a long solo drive. I have "Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)" at #10 on my Top 200, the final of four Yaz songs to make the list. Crank it up and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. An album where I wore out the vinyl ... minus the one song that actually was filler, "I before E" ... but now in the digital age it can be removed for the playlist entirely making Upstairs just perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any guesses about my final 9? :)

      Delete
    2. While we have very similar taste that's a tough one... lots of wild cards are possible
      Besides MLIA (or maybe DNA) I am thinking we see a several one-hit wonders, some more Canadians, and definitely some surprises ... I am personally hoping at least one of my top one-hit wonders appear ... maybe from RR, BOL or NP... but if not, well you named Play twice so I'll still be pretty happy!

      Delete
    3. I've got the entries done down to #6 and will do #5 today. As a bit of trivia songs 4,3,2, and 1 were all #1 at some point since April when I started this.

      Delete