Monday, October 23, 2017

Number 6: Berlin - Rumor Of Love

Berlin released Love Life, their third LP, in mid 1984. Big hits from the album included "Dancing In Berlin" (#160 on this list) and "No More Words". Not released as a single was "Rumor Of Love", which is not only my favorite Berlin track, but one of my favorite new wave songs of all time. Berlin frontwoman Terri Nunn does not sing the lead vocals on "Rumor Of Love": that task falls instead to uber-bassist John Crawford. He turns in a virtuoso performance, his voice a perfect fit for the track's laid-back synth groove. I have no idea why the A&R men at Berlin's label didn't choose this song to be released as a single; that decision still leaves me shaking my head. To my ear this is head and shoulders above anything else they recorded, especially the awful-yet-popular "Take My Breath Away" (the worst misstep of genius producer Giorgio Moroder's career). I have "Rumor Of Love" at #6 on my Top 200, marking Berlin's third and final appearance here.

7 comments:

  1. Those A&R men were obviously too busy looking at her Penthouse spread and not paying attention !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of which we should address the elephant in the room .... is #1 going to be Murray Head "One Night in Bangkok"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I like that song (and the musical) but I ended up not putting it on the list.

      Delete
    2. Kidding! Just heard it on SOMA and had to troll. But I like it too

      Delete
    3. Hey, I love "One Night in Bangkok"!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is really good! I've somehow never heard this song before. I agree that it was a big mistake not to release this as a single, and it's certainly far superior to "Take My Breath Away". I'm glad I checked out this blog to discover some new (to me) New Wave!

    ReplyDelete