Friday, October 27, 2017

Number 2: A Flock Of Seagulls - Modern Love Is Automatic

A Flock Of Seagulls' eponymous 1982 debut album contained the hits "I Ran (So Far Away)", "Messages" (#122 on this list) and "Space Age Love Song" (#15). To me, however, "Modern Love Is Automatic" is their best track. In fact, I love it so much that I had it at #1 on my Top 200 off and on throughout the summer. Ultimately it settled into the #2 spot, but it was close. This song is the epitome of musical greatness. Mike Score's vocals, the synth lines, the drums, the guitar work of Paul Reynolds. It all adds up to an amazing listening experience. Never released as a single, "Modern Love Is Automatic" is four minutes of sonic bliss.

P.S. Never mind annoying solos and shredding crap. *This* is how you use an electric guitar! Absolutely perfect use of the instrument in a song.

Live performance below.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely perfect use of every instrument ... love the way the drums, bass fade in too... the mysterious lyrics ... the haunting vocal .... best song on a great album ... by far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth. As late as a few weeks ago I was wondering if this song should be #1.

      Delete
  2. You know which song I expected to see on the list? The Walk by the Cure... that song just screams "new wave synthiness".

    Do do dootle dee dee dootle do do dee do do do

    That said, I prefer The Head on the Door stuff too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds too much like New Order. I like that stuff, just not as much. Same thing with Enola Gay and Electricity by OMD. All those songs share something I can't quite name but I don't like "it" as much as other kinds of synthpop. Whatever "it" is.

      Delete