Saturday, May 5, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Robin Gibb - Robot


Neil Young had "Computer Age", Alice Cooper had "Clones", Ministry had "Revenge", and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees had "Robot", from his 1984 LP Secret Agent.

Synthesizers, robotic voice effects, syncopated drum machine beats, scratching, this tune has it all! "Robot" was never released as a single, but I really like the song, and considered it for my Top 200. 

I also like Gibb's "Juliet", from his previous album, 1983's How Old Are You? (which has got to be one of the worst record names of all time).


P.S. Speaking of new wavish songs from non-new wave artists...Kim Carnes had "Crazy In The Night" in 1985!

Be back next week with another great song that didn't quite make the list.

5 comments:

  1. "Robot" was definitely composed as Robin was on vacation in Jamaica, sipping rum punch & listening to "Down Under" on the radio, swaying to the island breeze and getting rhythmically corn-holed by Mr. Roboto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great image to start off my Saturday! Thanks for that...

      Delete
    2. Never knew Kim Carnes tried new wave .... it's good she did as it validates that her raspy atonal howling is unlistenable in EVERY genre

      Delete
    3. I have to admit, I have that song on my Halloween playlist.

      Delete
    4. Guilty Halloween pleasure! I think we can all agree that's a perfect place for Kim Carnes.

      Delete