Saturday, June 16, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Divinyls - Science Fiction

Christina Amphlett's band Divinyls formed in 1982 in Sydney, Australia, and went on to release five studio albums. "Science Fiction", their biggest early hit, was released as the second single off their debut LP, Desperate, in early 1983. Reaching #13 on the Australian charts, the song served as a springboard to the band's later international success.

More hits followed, including 1990's "I Touch Myself", their biggest chart success, which hit #1 down under and #4 on the US Hot 100.

Later, in 1993, the band contributed the song "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" to the Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie soundtrack. The band then broke up in 1996 and Amphlett died in 2013 after a long battle with cancer. 




"Science Fiction" is my favorite track by Divinyls and I did consider it for my Top 200.


Be back next week with another song that didn't quite make the list.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard Sci-Fi before ... cool tune!

    I always appreciated how Touch Myself was a perfect storm of suggestiveness, camerawork, editing, clothes, makeup, and the capturing of Christina in that brief 15 minute window when she was at her hottest. She may be gone but this video will live on forever!

    ReplyDelete