Saturday, June 23, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Billy Idol - Blue Highway




Billy Idol week continues! WAS featured Billy's great song "White Wedding" in his last Awesome New Wave Song of the Week entry. Here in my Just Missed It! series I'm going to spotlight another great Idol song, "Blue Highway", from his 1983 album Rebel Yell.

"Blue Highway" was never released as a single, due to the general cluelessness of record label A&R personnel. It could have (and probably would have) been a smash hit if released. 

I considered the song for my Top 200 list, but in the end it didn't make it on.

Also from Rebel Yell, here's the title track.

Be back next week with another (non-Billy) song that just missed.

2 comments:

  1. MD, you've done it again. "Rebel Yell" along with "Dancing With Myself" is a Billy Idol guilty pleasure of mine! And I can actually pinpoint the exact when & why! On November 1, 1983, Rebel Yell was voted "Screamer Of The Week" (best new song) on WLIR-FM in NY. When they played it as the winner, the DJ overlayed the famous WLIR "scream" after every time Billy Idol sang "more, more more". No joke - it sounded AWESOME. I've loved it ever since! Here's the scream if you have never heard it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2lSXm4Guuc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I wonder if anyone ever played Billy that edit?!

      Delete