Monday, September 18, 2017

Number 41: Camouflage - That Smiling Face

German New Wavers Camouflage struck gold with the fourth single from their debut album, Voices & Images in late 1988. "That Smiling Face" rocketed up the European charts with its driving, relentless beat and sharp vocals by Marcus Meyn. Despite not really having a chorus, "That Smiling Face" has always been my favorite Camouflage tune of the 80s. It gets the #41 spot on my Top 200 list in the band's second and final appearance.

3 comments:

  1. Little too somnambulant for my taste.. always preferred what Bauhaus did with their tunes or New Order did with songs like Age of Consent ... take funereal material but do it more lively and even better, add in a killer hook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song - it's my favorite Camouflage song.
    You said it's your favorite Camouflage song of the 80's. Does that mean there's another another Camouflage song you like better? "Suspicious Love" perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was referring to "We Are Lovers" from 2006. I posted that song below the entry for "The Great Commandment" (#102).

      Delete