Friday, July 21, 2017

Number 100: Talk Talk - Talk Talk


  
Mark Hollis and Talk Talk slowly put together a very respectable body of work in the 80s, starting with debut LP The Party's Over in 1982. Their biggest chart hit from that album was "Today", but "Talk Talk" has always been my personal favorite. I have the song at #100, marking the halfway point of this Top 200. As an aside, besides "Talk Talk" by Talk Talk and "Book Of Love" by Book Of Love, are there any other New Wave songs named for the bands that sing them? 

8 comments:

  1. It's My Life was always my favorite of theirs ... that haunting video
    Does (In A) Big Country count ?
    Not strictly New Wave but "They Might Be Giants" did it in 1989 I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I count "(In A) Big Country" I would have to count "Dancing in Berlin" too. I had forgotten about "They Might Be Giants" though.

      Delete
  2. Count them all! It's Friday in July! Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "General Public", "Until December" and "Icehouse" fits the bill and "Public Image" by Public Image Limited and "Stray Cat Strut" by Stray Cats are close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those. Somehow I missed your comment until now!

      Delete
  4. "Today" was a bigger hit than "Talk Talk"? I'm surprised.

    ReplyDelete