Saturday, August 4, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Tangerine Dream - Le Parc (L.A. - Streethawk)

My partner in crime, WAS, brought us the first ever instrumental on this blog when he featured Ad Infinitum's "Telstar" as his Awesome New Wave Song Of The Week series' 14th entry. I figure it's time I spotlight an instrumental as well! 

To my mind, there's no better choice than "Le Parc" from 1970s synth phenomenon Tangerine Dream. Formed way back in 1967 and featuring an ever-changing lineup of amazing musicians, Tangerine Dream reached their apex when the band was comprised of founders Christopher Franke, Edgar Froese, and, of course, Peter Baumann (see above photo).

Baumann left to go solo, and his later albums snagged him several spots on my Top 200 (#185 and #22), plus a prior mention on an earlier edition of Just Missed It. 

Without him, Tangerine Dream continued, and were tapped by ABC to write the theme song for their 1985 motorcycle-superhero TV show, Streethawk.

The resulting song, "Le Parc (L.A. - Streethawk)" has been recognized as one of the best television themes of all time. I considered it for my Top 200, but ultimately decided to leave it off.

Here's the actual show opening, because I can't help myself!

More awesome Tangerine Dream!
"Beach Scene", "Monolight", & "Choronzon"...






Be back next week with another song that didn't quite make my list.

3 comments:

  1. Motorcycles ... James Caan... Synths .... 80s Awesomeness...

    In his galactic space-lair high above the Earth, Peter Baumann is notified by his global information monitoring system that he just acquired a fourth mention on Marc's site. He pauses for a moment from his usual state of deep brooding ... and cracks a smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta keep him happy...or he'll send the polyhedrons!

      Delete
    2. LOL

      I for one welcome Peter Baumann as our new polyhedron-wielding galactic overlord

      Delete