Saturday, September 29, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Data - Living Inside Me

Data was formed by electronic composer George Kajanus and vocalist Francesca Boulter in London during the steamy summer of 1979. Created as an experimental project, commercial success was not their main aim. Their first album, 1981's Towers of Babel was a critical hit but attracted little attention aside from the alternative music press. When their second record, entitled 2-Time, was released in 1983, however, it spawned the minor hit "Living Inside Me", which charted in several European countries.

The band produced one more album, 1985's Elegant Machinery, before breaking up.  

"Living Inside Me" is right up my alley as I have always liked this kind of music. The song was eventually left off my Top 200, but it would have been included had it been a Top 250 instead.

As an aside: there's just something about 100% analog synthesizers! Their sounds just can't be duplicated by digital syths. This song really emphasizes the difference, especially during the bridge section.

Be back next week as the Countdown to Halloween begins with a spooky song that didn't quite make my list.



4 comments:

  1. Data is a way more listenable male-female duo than the Flying Lizards of the same era - not bad for an experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad at all...and unlike my song from last week, no hair bleach needed!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of them before, but I like this a lot. It's soooo 80's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete