Wednesday, October 3, 2018

WAS's Awesome New Wave Song Of The Week #49: Near Paris - Visions


So far on Awesome Song, we have been to London, and we’ve been to Germany …. I think it’s time to (re)visit Paris! 

Synthpop pros Near Paris landed Awesome Song #3 with “Ceiling” - a wonderful tune off their one & only EP from 1985.  I promised we’d see them again and here they are!  This week’s Awesome Song is “Visions” from the same EP.  Although previous pick “Ceiling” was the most popular song on the disc, “Visions” is my all-time personal favorite.

I made contact with Near Paris lead singer Dana Riashi recently, and told her this, and sent her the blog entry...her reply: "Thank you for your positive shout out to Near Paris! I felt Visions was the best lyric I wrote for sure ;)" - and we can now count her among the fans of Marc's Top 200 blog!

...and while we are in Paris in the 80s...let's do a bonus song! The Mood were a short-lived UK band from York. They only lasted a few years but did turn out one gem of a song that ties nicely with this week's theme - let's go back to 1983 and enjoy a slice of the seriously synthy sounds of The Mood doing "Paris Is One Day Away"! Ooh la la la! 





3 comments:

  1. Call me crazy, but "Visions" sounds like Depeche Mode and New Order in equal parts. Definitely an Awesome Song of the Week! "Paris Is One Day Away" is now stuck in my head. That song is right up my alley and I think it's going into my new wave playlist immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean it's like New Order and Depeche ran into a restroom in Columbus Ohio and started cornho.... ah, we've done that one too many times already!

    ReplyDelete