Wednesday, November 15, 2017

WAS's Awesome New Wave Song Of The Week #3: Near Paris - Ceiling



This week’s Awesome Song is a wondrous synthpop nugget from Near Paris, a band from Columbus Ohio.  Near Paris was only a duo, Dana and Gerald, but what a sound they made.  Strong synth, infectious grooves and Dana’s absolutely mesmerizing vocal can be found in all of their work, which unfortunately was only one EP.  I remember hearing NP at new wave clubs in NYC in the mid-eighties but that was the days before Shazam and Soundhound .. so their band name was unknown to me . You can imagine my delight when I heard the same song thirty years later on SOMA-FM’s Underground 80s and finally discovered it was Near Paris. And even better - like their modern-day labelmates, the phenomenal Play - their entire catalog, of everything they made in 1985, has been re-released digitally in the new century by Medical Records!  Enjoy “Ceiling” in 2017.  And we’ll hear from Near Paris again on a future Awesome Song.

-WAS

4 comments:

  1. Great song, I had never heard of these guys. After listening to this, I downloaded all their stuff. My favorite tune by Near Paris is "He's Too Fine".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was indeed awesome! Like Marc D., I'd never heard of them, so I'm glad I revisited this blog. I'm going to have to check out their other stuff, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed ! Near Paris is like a synthpop secret weapon ... one of the best.

    Hidden 80s gems like this shall continue to abound on Awesome New Wave Song of The Week !

    ReplyDelete