Friday, June 2, 2017

Number 149: Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms

For me "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" represents the sound of 1987. The New Wave era was winding down, the late-80s pop era was beginning. Nick van Eede and his band burst onto the scene with a #1 album (Broadcast) and a #1 hit single, then quickly faded. By 1992 and their third LP, Corpus Maximus, musical tastes had changed - for the worse in my opinion. Cutting Crew's sales dried up and their audience evaporated. Had they arrived in 1983, things might have been different, but such is life. "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" takes the #149 spot on my Top 200.

1 comment:

  1. To me Cutting Crew was the Hootie & The Blowfish of the 80s, who were of course the Matchbox 20 of the 90s who were of course the Good Charlotte of the 00s who were of course the Nickelback of all human history. But they did have synths, I'll give you that.

    ReplyDelete