Saturday, January 13, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: A Flock Of Seagulls - Telecommunication

A Flock Of Seagulls appeared three times on my Top 200 list, with "Messages" (#122), "Space Age Love Song" (#15), and "Modern Love Is Automatic" (#2). They almost made it four, because "Telecommunication" just missed making the list.

Clocking in at a brisk 2 minutes and 31 seconds, "Telecommunication" is a bright, up-tempo track featuring a mechanical, tinny-sounding drum machine beat and sparkling synthesizer work. From their first, eponymous LP, "Telecommunication" was released as a single, and reached the US dance chart's top 20. In my opinion, however, it's a fantastic track and should have had a much greater impact on the charts.


Part of the essential sountrack of 81/82, "Telecommunication" will always find a welcome spot on any early 80s new wave playlist.

Be back next week with another great song that didn't quite nab a spot on my Top 200.

4 comments:

  1. This was the first song I ever heard from the band and still a favorite !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't discover it until I bought the album.

      Delete