Saturday, July 21, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: New Musik - Design

New Musik was a new wave offshoot of the London-based Nick Straker Band. 

Crooner Nick Straker himself was a founding member, with Tony Mansfield as the most important other component. Their lineup varied through their 3-album career, as they placed five singles onto the UK top 40 in the late 70s and early 80s. Their best song, in my opinion, is 1981's "Design", from the group's second LP, Anywhere. Though never released as a single (for some incomprehensible reason), I like it considerably more than "Living By Numbers", New Musik's biggest chart hit.

Another great song by New Musik is their cover of "All You Need Is Love", from the band's third (and final) LP, 1982's Warp. I'm not a huge Beatles fan - only three of their songs are on my personal playlist: "With A Little Help From My Friends", "Twist And Shout", and my favorite, "Penny Lane" - but this track is awesome as played by New Musik.


Bonus! Here's the Nick Straker Band's best song, 1980's "A Walk In The Park".
Be back next week with another great song that didn't make my Top 200.

4 comments:

  1. Loving the fact that of your Beatles songs, one is a cover, one was covered better by a drunk and deformed Joe Cocker and the last was bested by the Rutles parody of the same (Doubleback Alley) - too funny - it’s still 3 more beatles songs than I have in my collection. Although I wouldn’t completely rule out having one if it was one of the ones done by the only genius in the band .... Ringo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ringo is awesome, there is no denying that. But George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, his solo stuff is good ("Set On You", "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea", "All Those Years Ago"), plus the Traveling Wilburys! Poor Nick Straker, though. He's fronted *two* bands yet all everyone talks about is the Beatles in his Just Missed It entry!

      Delete
    2. I think it’s because all 80s fans have a mental block that renders invisible anyone who in any way manner shape or form resembles Leo Sayer

      Delete
    3. He does look like Leo doesn't he?!

      Delete