Wednesday, July 11, 2018

WAS's Awesome New Wave Song Of The Week #37: The Icicle Works - Understanding Jane



The Icicle Works nailed down position #74 on Marc’s Top 200 with “Birds Fly (From a Whisper To A Scream)” off their eponymous first LP.  Great song, and one that has stood the test of time.  

My favorite Icicle Works song is off the first album of theirs I owned, “If You Want To Defeat Your Enemy, Sing His Song”.   From 1987, “Understanding Jane” is at once a sentimental love song and smashing rock rave-up - like a Journey song that was kidnapped at gunpoint by the Ramones, taken to a tattoo parlor, redecorated, and released, so it could rock out with wild abandon!


The original video of the song was pretty cheesy, featuring the nerd herd of a band in an English pub - the video enclosed is not only easier on the eyes, it sounds 10x better!

Enjoy “Understanding Jane”!
Bonus! Speaking of Icicle Works, a song I often played on my radio show before or after "Birds Fly" was today’s bonus track - another one that would make my personal Top 200 for sure!   

Talk Talk scored #100 on Marc’s Top 200 and their namesake song is wonderful - but my favorite is “It's My Life” - a huge international hit for them and this one we will link to the video, as it both haunting and beautiful.

Enjoy “It’s My Life”!

3 comments:

  1. "It's My Life" is, of course, a new wave classic! "Understanding Jane" is Talk Talk at their rocking best. Truly an Awesome Song and an excellent tune for a party atmosphere on a hot summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is Hot,.... and it is Summer ... and most importantly, it’s Always A Party on Marc’s Top 200!

    ReplyDelete