Friday, April 14, 2017

Number 199: Scritti Politti - Perfect Way

I don't know much about Green Gartside's band Scritti Politti. I remember listening to all their material and not really liking much of it. I'm a fussy person, I guess. I'm not one of those people who finds something to like about every artist. I'm sure these guys have legions of fans who would break out the pitchforks for me, but this is the only song by Scritti Politti on my WinAmp playlist (yes, I still use WinAmp). Their other hit, "Wood Beez", is terrible. "Perfect Way", however, has a bouncing backbeat and Gartsides's light-as-air vocals, bordering on falsetto in places. It's a nice combination and the synths weave through it with a breezy insistence. A minor hit in 1985, it hits my list at #199.

2 comments:

  1. Agree this is their best - even though the vocal is disturbingly Michael Jacksonish at his crotch-grabbing worst.
    Still better than Wood Beez though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed the Michael Jackson similarity!

      Delete