Saturday, September 8, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Gary Numan - Music For Chameleons


Gary Numan grabbed three spots on my Top 200: #139 for "Me! I Disconnect From You", #66 for "Cars", and #37 for "Stormtrooper In Drag". If you were wondering what the fourth song would have been, your question has been answered!

"Music For Chameleons" is from Numan's I, Assassin album and hit #19 on the UK charts in January, 1982. The LP itself was a smash hit, reaching #8 on the albums chart.

The song contains the awesome line "We need to win like you need to breathe", which will be said by the evil coach if I ever write a Friday Night Lights-like movie script based on a college football tournament.

"Music For Chameleons" was on my Top 200 for a time but ultimately was cut right at the end.

...and to complete my "top 5" Numan songs, here's "Tracks" from his 1980 album The Pleasure Principle.

  Be back next week with another song that didn't quite get there.

4 comments:

  1. Chameleons video clearly inspired the 1984 movie "Johnny Dangerously" ... it has the gangsters, the newspaper and everything - You farging bastich iceholes, this is Farging War !!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDjG5PS3x9k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen Johnny Dangerously, looks interesting!

      Delete
  2. It's kind of like Airplane! of gangster flicks. Jokes flying at you rapid-fire! It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airplane is one of my top 10 favorite movies, so I should definitely check Johnny Dangerously out.

      Delete