Friday, September 29, 2017

Number 30: The Human League: The Things That Dreams Are Made Of

Okay, here's where things get serious. The remaining 30 songs are, in my opinion, the best of the best when it comes to the New Wave/Synthpop era.
Songs 30-16 are ones I listen to again and again, and never get tired of hearing. Let's go through this group, starting with #30. 

My favorite Human League song is "The Things That Dreams Are Made Of", an album cut from 1981's Dare that for some reason was not released as a single. Once again the infinite wisdom of the record label A&R man is proven! Anyway, I love everything about this song. The drum machines, the analog synths, the vocals, everything. Phil Oakey is in top form here, and the track epitomizes the early Human League sound. The last of four League songs on my Top 200, "The Things That Dreams Are Made Of" gets the #30 spot.

...and they still rock! As evidence, here's "Sky" from 2011's Credo.


4 comments:

  1. Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Blitzkrieg Bop" and "I Wanna Be Sedated" ar emy faves, although "Pet Sematary" theme is awesome too.

      Delete
    2. Starting to think we are twin sons from different mothers... all those + other faves are "Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio" and from later in their career "Somebody Put Something In My Drink" and "Poison Heart"

      Delete