Friday, May 19, 2017

Number 163: Japan - Ghosts


Though "Ghosts" is the first Japan song on this list, it's actually the band's biggest chart hit. From their 1981 album Tin Drum, this minimalist track reached #5 in the UK. David Sylvian, Mick Karn, and company were ahead of the curve in almost every way: musically, they sounded like nobody else; fashion-wise, they were New Romantic before the genre even existed. They broke up at the height of their careers in December 1982 and went their seperate ways. But Japan left a ton of awesome music behind to remember them by. "Ghosts" haunts the #163 spot on my Top 200.

2 comments:

  1. Must say this one was not my taste ... sounded like an outtake from a Broadway show tune soundtrack of "Phantom of The Flock of Seagulls", as composed by Brian Eno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen to it 10 times, I almost guarantee you will start to like it. I didn't care for it at first, but now I love the song. Sylvian is a genius.

      Delete