Saturday, August 12, 2017

Number 78: Limahl - The Neverending Story


The Neverending Story film hit theaters in 1984, featuring a title track composed by Giorgio Moroder and sung by ex-Kajagoogoo frontman Limahl. The movie was a huge hit, and the song cracked the top 10 in the USA and the top 5 in the UK. "The Neverending Story" single drove sales of both the movie soundtrack and Limahl's debut solo LP, Don't Suppose. The song and albums it appeared on marked the high-water point of Limahl's career. I have the song at #78 here.

Video below.


...and Limahl today? He's still active with a new single released last year. Here's "1983":

6 comments:

  1. Out of the songs in the year genre

    1963 (New Order)
    1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
    1984 (Bowie)
    1999 (Prince)
    2112 (Rush)

    ... Limahl's contribution certainly stands out as the lamest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we're counting songs with parentheses, we could include Sex Crime (1984) by Eurythmics and (Another) 1984 by Billy Squier.

      As an aside, how happy are you that there are no further Limahl/Kaja songs on this countdown! I know you hate his music.

      Delete
    2. It's going to be difficult getting through 77 Limahl-free days .. If I get desperate I 'll just cue up his atonal caterwauling cover of Elton John's 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart'

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKR5itt5QHU

      Delete
    3. Wow. Not sure what to say after watching that.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, Limahl haters, but I love this song, as well as "Tell Me Why" and "Inside to Outside"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm not a hater. After all, I put three Limahl songs on my Top 200!

      Delete