Monday, May 15, 2017

Number 167: Talking Heads - Burning Down The House

In 1984, Talking Heads released Stop Making Sense, a concert video directed by Jonathan Demme. Hailed by many in the years since as "the greatest performance film ever made", it featured live - sometimes reworked - versions of Talking Heads songs from their previous few albums. I don't care much for the album version of "Burning Down The House" (originally from their 1983 LP Speaking In Tongues), but David Byrne and company hit a home run with the Stop Making Sense version, which gets the #167 spot here.

2 comments:

  1. In late 1984 I was 20 years old and working part time as an intern in a library in midtown NYC. Besides filing books my other job was to be on high alert for bangable women. One day I spy in the library a shortish blonde with a rocking body and so-so face - jewish girl named Wendy. She also seemed a bit dim, and her eyes were a bit far apart, like a prey animal. Now everyone knows jewish girls love to give the best head so I figured this would be a lay-up. She suggested we go to the movies, I figured sure, feed her a few beers, catch a flick and I'd have her ankles pinned behind her ears in record time. All was going according to plan until we left the movie, when she quickly said - I gotta go, ran into a taxi and I never saw her again. She had successfully scammed me for a night out. And yes... the name of that movie was Stop Making Sense. And it was a great flick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you got to see an awesome film!

      Delete